Tuesday, July 30, 2013

It's been 1 month since you looked at me, tipped your head to the side and said I'm angry.

Yesterday or today, depending on how you count, is the one month mark in this whole crazy experience-living-in-Germany-why-don't-you thing. And for all the goods and all the bads I'm feeling very lost, a little home sick, and certainly questioning the quality of my decision. Half the time I wake up wishing I could just be at home in Portland reading the 120 books I already have which are squished together under my bed side table, and half the mornings I get out of bed excited to go adventuring with the boys.

One month into this experiment I have to say that the jury's still out on the quality of my decision making:

  • The kids are starting to like me, but they don't love me yet.
  • I don't love them (yet) either. I'm not protective of them. I compare them mentally to my cousins of the same age, and they always come up short in comparison.
  • The three year old is much more open to my presence, and when no parents are home we all get along flawlessly (biting and swearing aside).
  • I cannot get the six year old to be interested in Harry Potter so now I'm reading it on my own, in German and feeling very accomplished.
  • The diet, though European and in many ways excellent, does not agree with my pre-Germany (Gluten free) dietary expectations. Why do you have to eat three pieces of bread at every single meal?
  • I'm exhausted all of the time. Maybe it's the heat or the job or a side effect of the diet, but I'm exhausted.
  • The language comes easier now. If only I could get my host family to stop speaking English with me at night.
  • I now speak British English. I fail to comprehend how I transitioned from one English language to the other, but there it is.
  • I've met people, but made no "friends" yet. And I'm turning into a desperate beast, needing attention and love and having no resources to get that which don't involve an internet connection (i.e. skype, whatsapp, and email with my family--get your mind out of the gutter).
  • I met a cute boy, but am having issues connecting with said boy through social media/cellular devices... boo.
  • I'm joining a book club(s) which should solidify my identity as the oldest 22 year old of all time.
  • The weather is truly beautiful and the general culture completely agrees with my constitution.
  • Winter is coming, and I'm pumped for some sweater weather and snow.
  • For better or worse, I'm now 10% of the way through my stay with this family. And if I choose, in 9 months I can go straight home.

It will certainly always be safer to choose the known world before the unknown. I could have moved to New York or stayed in Portland, worked in an office or as a nanny, had my gap year, but stayed in a land where people at least speak the same language. And maybe, just maybe I would be happier there. But I have to believe that you can't make a wrong decision (though you can make bad ones) because each decision leads you on a different path. I have to believe that taking this chance, no matter what I feel today, will be one of the better ones in my life and that in 10 years I will look back, proud to have jumped into the unknown.

Music:

"Home" from The Beauty and the Beast soundtrack
"Summer Love" by JT
"Where or When" cover by Harry Connick, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate